Find out the following phrases in the text.
1) physical characteristic ________________; 2) ________________________提出一个理论
3) infectious disease ____________________; 4) _________________________ 得出结论
5) analyze the results ___________________; 6)_____________________暴露(…..)在……中
7) terrified people _____________________; 8) ________________________最致命的疾病
9) _____________________把….吸收入….; 10) __________________________ 收集信息
11) _______________________决心干某事; 12) ______________________一条珍贵的线索
13) __________________除..…之外还有…; 14) ____________________将…和…联系起来
15) _____________________叫某人送东西; 16) __________________________ 死于…
17) _______________________肯定地宣布; 18) __________________________ 被污染的水
19) ___________________阻止某人干某事; 20) ___________________________ 处理……
I. Fast reading: Choose the best answer according to the text.
1) The passage mainly tells us that ______________
A. the cause of cholera was polluted water.
B. John Snow was a well-known doctor in L 教学资源下载,还有大量而丰富的教学相关资讯!" type="#_x0000_t75">ondon.
C. the source of all drinking water should be examined.
D. John Snow did some research and helped to defeat “King Cholera”
2) Why was cholera called “King Cholera” in the text?
A. Because cholera caused many deaths.
B. Because it got its name from Queen Victoria.
C. Because cholera was the most deadly disease of its day.
D. Because it was defeated with the help of the king.
3) People thought that cholera spread _________ before John Snow’s research.
A. in the air B. by the birds C. in the water D. by the food
4) ____________ is the key help for John Snow’s discovery.
A. The government B. The woman moving away from Broad street
C. The water company D. The map made by himself
5) At last, “King Cholera” was controlled by ___________.
A. using medicines in hospitals B. driving patients out of the country
C. dealing with the polluted water D. getting rid of all kinds of pollution
II. careful reading:
Please read the text and find out the general idea of each paragraph and match the correct research stage with each paragraph. Discuss it in groups, and then report your answers.
Find a problem
The _________ of cholera
The correct or possible theories
Think of a method
__________ data on where people were ____ and _______ and where they got their water
Plot information on a _____ to find out where people _______ or ____________.
Analyze the results
______________ to see if that is the cause of the illness
Find other __________ to confirm his conclusion
Make a conclusion
_________________________ was to ________ for the cause of the London cholera
课堂讨论Discuss the following questions.
1) What are the two theories explaining how cholera killed people?
2) What evidence did John Snow gather to convince people that idea 2 was right?
3) Cholera was a 19th century disease. What disease do you think is similar to cholera today?
  下一页