Step 2 fast reading
Please underline the time mentioned in this text.
Please underline all the places they have been to or they have seen.
The time to arrive in Toronto:
The time to arrive in Montreal :
The places they visited in Toronto:
① What is the main idea of the passage?
② How many parts is the text divided into and what’s the main idea of each part?
Parts Paragraphs Main ideas
① The passage is about their trip to Toronto and Montreal and it gives us further information about Canada.
② Part1 (Paragraphs1-5) ____________________________________________
Part2 (Paragraph 6) ____________________________________________
Part3 (Paragraphs 7) ____________________________________________
Step 3 careful reading
Answer the questions about the passage.
1. How do we know it is fall in Canada?
2. What can sometimes be seen from the CN Tower in Toronto?
3. Where does the water from the lake go?
4.Which direction is the train going from Toronto?
5. What three things show us that Montreal is a French city?
Step 4 post reading
Fill in the blanks.
They went on a _______ of _______, the most _______ and ______ city in Canada. They went up the tall _______ and saw the misty cloud that rose from _________. And then they visited ________ and had dinner in _______, where they could get good Cantonese food. The next morning they arrived in _______, a city which has a _______ culture.
Suggested answers: tour, Toronto, wealthy, biggest, CN Tower, the great Niagara Falls, the covered stadium, downtown Chinatown, Montreal, French
Step 5 Language points
1. They were not leaving for Montreal until later, so they went on a tour of the city
1) They were not leaving for...属于过去进行时表示将来的动作。
2) until/till 直到…为止
until常与否定句连用, not…until 直到…才
He didn’t finish the work until yesterday.
2. We can get good Cantonese food here, because most of the Chinese people here come from South China, especially Hong Kong.
especially表示“尤其, 格外,特别”,意思相当于“in particular ”或“particularly”。多用在介词短语或连词前面。
3. It’s too bad you can’t go as far as Ottawa.
as far as (程度副词) “远达，远至”
He walked as far as the railway station yesterday evening.
as busy as a bee 像蜜蜂一样忙碌
as easy as ABC 像ABC一样容易
as deep as a well 像井一样深
as light as a feather 像羽毛一样轻
as soft as butter 像黄油一样软
as rich as a Jew 像犹太人一样富裕
4. The train left late that night and arrived in Montreal at dawn the next morning.火车在那夜晚些时候起程,第二天黎明到达了蒙特利尔。
at, on, in表示时间的用法区别
1. Read Fun Reading by yourself. (P75)
2. English weekly page 4 part 4