Lesson 2 Extreme Sports
1. To practice strategies for preparing to listen to a text
2. To practise expressing preferences
3. To practise using phrasal verbs
4. To practise using correct intonation in questions
Teaching main points:
1. To improve students’ listening ability
2. To talk about the extreme sports
Teaching aids: CAI
Step1. Warm up
Talk about the extreme sports
Read through the key words with the students and have them match the words to the pictures.
Read through the listening strategies with the class.
Ask students what clues they get about the content of the next listening text from the title of this lesson, the pictures and their own knowledge of the world.
Give students time to read through the questions and guess the answers before play the cassette.
Task1. Students listen to the cassette and check their guesses.
Task2. Read the entries in the table with the class and check that students understand that would like to means that the person has not yet done the sport.
Play the cassette for students to complete the table.
Check students’ answer by having them make sentences about Carol and Jonathan.