Unit 4 Wang Wei’s Dream
Now you try:
1. Blind people can’t see.
2. Yesterday, I couldn’t go to school because I was sick.
3. He’s a magician. He can do magic tricks.
4. Will you be able to meet me tomorrow?
5. When I am older, I won’t be able to drive.
6. I’m so tired. I couldn’t sleep last night.
7. I come from Italy. I can speak Italian, but I can’t speak Japanese.
8. Some birds can fly for thousands of miles.
9. I’m afraid I can’t meet you. I’m too busy.
A: Work by Yourself
Name things you could and couldn’t do when you were four years old.
e.g. I could walk, but I couldn’t tie my shoelaces.
1. I could swim, but I couldn’t swim fast.
2. I could speak English but I couldn’t speak another language.
B: Work in Pairs
Interview your partner about their abilities and inabilities:
Do you have a special talent?
Can you play a musical instrument?
Do you know any special tricks?
What languages can you speak?
Can you name all the months of the year?
Can you see perfectly, or do you need glasses?
Can you cook? If so, what?
Can you remember when you were two years old?
If so, what do you remember?
Now, write down your partner’s abilities and inabilities in your notebook.
Try to include as much information as possible.
My partner can paint very well. She can also read an English newspaper.
She can’t play the guitar.
She can’t ride a horse and can’t cook well.
C: Work as a Group
Read your partner’s abilities and inabilities to the group, and listen as other group members read their partners’. Ask questions!
I can/ can’t … swim fast drive sing well
speak another language play the violin ice-skate
ride a bike run fast dance roller-blade
play the flute program a computer dive do magic tricks
snowboard read an English newspaper tell jokes
lift heavy weights act well play the guitar paint well
ride a horse cook well surf
课y favorite way to travel is on a bicycle.
Xiaohai: Really? Have you taken any long trips on your bike?
Jennifer: Actually, yes. When I was living in Canada, my family took a two-day bicycle trip.
Xiaohai: That sounds really fun. I wish I could take a trip like that someday.
On your own
Which is your favorite way to travel in China, by train, by airplane, or by car?
Would you tell us the reason?
1. —Could you please tell me _____________?
—It’s next to the post office.
A. where is the supermarket B. where the supermarket is
C. where the supermarket was
解析：选B。本题考查的是宾语从句的时态和语序问题。而Could you please tell me作主句时，是委婉的说法，并不是过去时。
2. —How many people are there in Changsha?
—About six ___________.
A. million B. millions C. millions of
3. —Is it far from your home to school?
—Not very, only ______________.
A. 15 minute’s ride B. 15 minutes’ ride C. 15 minutes ride
4. —When will you tell him the news?
—I’ll tell him about it if he ___________ back.
A. will come B. has come C. comes