Unit 15 Welcome to San Francisco 教案
4. the butt of many jokes 许多笑话的笑柄
5. take a ride on a cable car 坐缆车
6. depend on 依赖于
7. the speed of the cable car 缆车的速度
9. 9.5 miles an hour每小时9.5英里
10. never more, never less从来不多，也从来不少
11. offer sth to sb.为某人提供某物
12. such as例如
13. connect …and… 连接……和……
14. dressing in layers穿几层衣服
15. make up组建，构成
16. many different kinds of weather 多种不同的天气状况
句型：Would you like to come to San Francisco for a visit?
Welcome to San Francisco
Would you like to come to San Francisco for a visit? Here are some suggestions from those of us who live here! First, we advise you not to drive since it is a great walking town.
Second, and also very important you can enjoy our good public transit—including cable cars, old-time trolleys that travel up and down Market, and BART trains that run in the city and throughout the area. San Francisco’s transportation has been the center of many of debates and the butt of many jokes.
1. advise you not to drive
2. old-time trolleys
3. travel up and down Market
4. the butt of many jokes.
No visit to San Francisco is complete without taking a ride on a cable car. When London-born engineer Andrew Hallidie invented this form of transportation in 1873, no one believed the cable car could work, especially since there was not an engine. The speed of the car depends on the speed of the cable, always 9.5 miles an hour, never more, never less. There are three cable car lines. One of them, the Powell-Hyde offers a wide view of the city and bay. San Francisco’s newest streetcar line is the F-line, which is 5 miles long, connecting Fisherman’s Wharf, Downtown, the Civic Center, and the Castro District. The San Francisco Municipal Railway (MUNI) offers many ways to get around the city, such as buses, streetcars, and the Metro. These are the important means of transportation. You can choose the way you like. I hope you will enjoy your trip here.
1. take a ride on a cable car
2. depend on
3. the speed of the cable
4. 9.5 miles an hour
5. never more, never less
7. offer a wide view of the city
8. such as
Last, I’d like to make another suggestion. Dressing in layers is always a wise decision in San Francisco, since the 49 square miles that make up San Francisco include many different kinds of weather. The Mediterranean climate means the warmest months are August and September, though most of the time it is unpredictable. As Mark Twain once said, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”
1. dressing in layers
2. make up
3. many different kinds of weather
1. How about __________ on Sunday morning? (go, shop)
2. Would you like __________ the green coat on? (try)
3. You’d better __________ too much while do little. (not, talk)
4. I felt comfortable in this shirt, though it __________ me 158 yuan. (cost)
5. My brother told me that he ________ 5,000 English words by the end of last term. (learn)
6. Three men __________ down trees when I passed by. (cut)
7. The film __________ when I got to the cinema. (begin)
8. The camera costs so little that he __________ it. (buy)
9. Jack __________ his name on the paper yet. (not, write)
10. Don’t let us do too much homework, please. We need more time __ our own things. (do)
1. What’s the price of this hat?
________ ________ is this hat?
2. What size do you need?
What size _______ you ________?
3. I got up very early yesterday to catch the early train.
I got up very early yesterday ______ ______ I ______ catch the early train.
4. The blouse cost much more than the trousers.
The trousers cost much ________ than the blouse.
The trousers didn’t cost ________ much ________ the blouse.
5. The big house is so expensive that I can’t buy it.
The big house isn’t ________ ________ for us ________ buy.
The big house is ________ expensive for us ________ buy.
6. “I saw him yesterday.” She said to me.
She ________ me that she ________ ________ him the day before.
7. My mother invited some other friends, too.
My mother invited some other friends ________ ________.
8. We borrowed a knife from Uncle Wang.
Uncle Wang ________ a knife ________ ________.
9. Wang Fang hurried to school without having breakfast.
Wang Fang __________ to school _______ _______ _______ without having breakfast.