Chapter 5 Historical stories
(The Fifth Period)
Speaker: Tan Hua
Date: November 18, 2008
Class: Class 6, Junior 2, Gangxia Middle School
Contents: The text of Chapter 5, 8A --- <The night of the horse>
Aims: 1. Students can understand the reason of the Trojan War.
2. Students can catch the main idea of the text.
3. Students can master the main phrases and important sentences.
4. Students can realize that it’s important to keep the world peaceful and keep our minds peaceful.
Key points: 1. The main idea of the text.
2. The key phrases and important sentences.
3. The three meanings of ‘Trojan horse’.
4. Moral instruction: No wars, no violence!
Keep the world peaceful!
Keep our minds peaceful!
Teaching methods: Pair work, Group work, Individual
Teaching aids: Multi-media, slide-show, exercise paper
1. Try my best to be an active, attractive, energetic and passionate teacher.
2. English is a language not knowledge. The best way to learn English well is to practice every day, not only in class but also after class. So I insist on talking with my students in English very often, although it’s very difficult at the very beginning. But one year later, more and more students in my classes can understand me in English more and more. Some top students can even chat with me in English more easily and fluently now.
I. Pre-task activities
Step 1: Leading to the historical stories by showing some pictures of the famous films.
Step 2: Catching the main idea of the story by watching a video about the Trojan War.
II. While-task activities
Step 1: Answering seven questions about the Trojan War.
Step 2: Arranging the six pictures in the correct order.
Step 3: Listening to the tape. Reading the text together with the tape.
Step 4: Finding out the main phrases in the text.
Step 5: Doing some exercises of paraphrasing.
III. Post-task activities
Step 1: Reading the text again.
Step 2: Filling in the blanks according to the text.
Step 3: Exchanging and checking up the exercise paper.
Step 4: Enlarging the vocabulary: the three meanings of ‘Trojan horse’.
V. Moral instruction: No wars, no violence!
It’s very important to keep the world peaceful!
It’s also very important to keep our minds peaceful!
VI. Homework: 1. Read the text twice, copy and translate it.
2. Recite the summary of the text.
3. Do the exercises of A2 in Students Time 12th.